Friday, August 14, 2009

Lisztomania...

I suppose I should fill you in on why I will be doing said adventure.

I have always wanted to study abroad. Always. I am completely obsessed with traveling. Ok, not really - but I do it every chance I get. The experience of being a foreigner is eye opening. That subtle panic you feel when you sit down at a restaurant and realize you have no idea what the menu says and better yet, no idea what the waiter just asked you is exciting. Walking along the streets admiring the antiquated buildings and the locals going about their business, you smile to yourself because you have a secret - you're not from here...act cool. Realizing that life is not so different than you had imagined it would be - we are all the same, possess the same humanity regardless of the language we speak. I appreciate that. Perhaps being an observer is my forte.

There is a certain magic that I feel when I am in Europe. It's like when I am in Barcelona, or Rome, or Florence, or London, for that time, I have that connection with all that makes those cities beautiful. History. Studying and reading about the broad subject is nothing compared to the thrill and absolute high you get from experiencing it. That personal recognition of the significance all around you makes me tick. And so, I made the decision to study history in Europe during a quarter of my college years when I was in high school. Thanks to Mrs. Butz's AP U.S. History class, I became committed to studying history. I entered Ohio State with a declared major and have enjoyed all of my history courses, without exception. During my junior year, I took an Italian Renaissance course designed to look at the 13th and 14th centuries. Professor Davis' sarcastic, crude and hilarious perspective of Italian history made it real for me. I immediately signed up for his sequel course during Spring Quarter. I was captivated by Italy and its story. During the middle of Winter Quarter, I decided to apply to study in Florence, got accepted, and slowly, my dream was becoming my reality. I now know that if I decide to further my education, I will surely focus on the Italian Renaissance.

Another key aspect of my decision to study abroad was selfish. I wanted to do it for myself. Only for me. So, I consciously decided not to study with friends or anyone I knew. The next four months will be entirely new. Entirely alien. Entirely mine. I don't know where I'm going to live and I don't know who I will be going with. On the surface, I love that idea. Deep down, it scares the shit out of me! I already know I will grow and develop throughout this experience - I will be way outside my comfort zone. I would be kidding myself if I did not recognize that.

I have exactly two weeks left in the states. Still waiting on my Student Visa - it's making me hella nervous. These past few days I have been real lazy and laying low and unsuccessfully trying to block all that I have to do out of my mind. Perhaps I'll get into gear tomorrow... (haha)

Well, I must get back to watching T.V. (wow).

LOVE LOVE

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...another eloquent Lima writer. You amaze me. Soooo proud of you. Best of luck, my sweet sweet niece.

    ReplyDelete